These are 14 classic wedding mistakes that are easy to make but can also easily be avoided. Make sure you don’t make the same mistakes by reading my guide and following my advice.
1. Buying a wedding dress that is a size too small telling yourself that you’ll be able to lose the weight by then. This is a very common mistake….a dress can be made smaller but not bigger!!! Always buy the size that you are when you order, it’s going to save you a lot of worry in the long run.
2. Buying accessories before your dress. If you try to find a dress to match any accessories you’ve already bought, your’re heading for dress shopping meltdown. Odds are, you’ll find the dress of your dreams and it’ll not match anything you’ve bought. The dress should be chosen first then the accessories should be chosen to complement it – not the other way round!
3. Booking your venue before checking the registrar is available. You’ve found your dream venue, decided on a date and want to get everything booked as soon as possible. But what if the registrar isn’t available that day or at a time you want? Put a tentative hold on the date with your venue, most venues will hold the date for 7-14 days without a deposit. Once your venue is held, call the local registrar to make sure they have availability. Once you know they are free it’s full steam ahead.
4. Not buying wedding insurance. Wedding insurance can cover you for most things from your venue burning down to your florist having the flu. Insurance costs from as little as £20 so what it your excuse for not having it???
5. Leaving too big a gap between the ceremony and wedding breakfast. This is when your professional photos are taken, but if it takes longer than an hour and a half your guests are going to get bored. Book some entertainment like a magician or pianist, organise games or serve canapes during this time to keep them occupied.
6. Not leaving enough time for hair and make-up. Ask your hairdresser and make-up artist how long it will take to get everyone’s hair and make-up done. Set your alarm so you have plenty of time and are not rushed.
7. Wearing your hair up, when you or your fiance have always preferred it down. You don’t have to have your hair up just because it’s a wedding. The more you stick to your natural look, the more comfortable and confident you’ll feel.
8. Not getting a manicure. Your hands are going to be looked at and photographed all day. Getting a manicure is a must!
9. Not getting your engagement ring cleaned. You may have had your engagement ring for a few years, so when put next to your brand new wedding ring it’s going to look less than it’s sparkly best. Get it cleaned the week before the wedding so it looks brand new.
10. Forgetting to eat on the day. You’ll be so busy you will be amazed how easy it is to not eat on your big day. Schedule time to have breakfast before getting ready and ensure that you sit down and eat your wedding breakfast. Also make sure you make it to the evening buffet…you’ve paid for it so it would be a shame not to sample it!
11. Not saying hello to all your guests. The line up is used less and less at weddings, but it is the perfect way of speaking to every one of your guests if you’re having a large reception. Say a quick hello and thank you for coming to your evening guests too, they will appreciate it.
12. Not getting a picture with your mum, grandparents, best friend. It is very easy to forget certain photographs. Speak to your photographer before the wedding and make sure they know who you want photographs taken with.
13. Forgetting to feed your wedding suppliers. Your photographer and videographer are with you all day, they need to eat too. They don’t need a seat with your guests eating the same as everyone else, but a hot meal is normally much appreciated. You can then invite them and your band/DJ to help themselves to the buffet in the evening.
14. Getting worked up over little things. You can’t do anything about rain on your wedding day, no one will notice if the table isn’t laid exactly as you discussed with your venue. Yes it’s a little annoying but concentrate on all the good stuff and all the little niggles will disappear!
These are the most common mistakes people make. If you have any questions or need advice on any of the above or anything else while planning your wedding, leave me a comment or email email@example.com.